Monday, November 16, 2009

Bad sensitive skin?

I have sensitive skin which tends to get better than worse with products. It gets dry very easily and tends to break out alot. What can i use? like clean and clear cleanser for sensitive skin. Just some brands and stuff. I live in Australia so products available here would be great. Thanks

Bad sensitive skin?
I live in Australia too xD


Anyways go to Priceline and ask one of the staff for help!


They helps heap, they know EVERYTHING about skin, makeup and hair care! I love them xD
Reply:I don't know where you are up to in terms of age. I'm 26 now and continue to have similar problems. Skin is tricky because the anti-bacterial lotions and potions for acne tend to be drying and irritant which makes you scratch causing even more trouble. Similarly the sunscreens and concelers we end up using are also problematic. I'm yet to find a simple answer to this quandry.


If you are still in your teens/early twenties or you haven't already been, I suggest you go to your doctor. The pill (certain types - your pill may be making things worse) or an antibiotic can regulate mild to moderate cystic acne. If these fail, a dermatologist can offer a much more potent oral or possibly topical treatment which has more side effects but is extremely effective in the cases which don't respond to the initial therapies. I used this treatment in my teens to heal up some pretty nasty acne on my back. I still get a lot of break outs and have sensitive skin but its a lot better.


Regarding over the counter products, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the products I'm using currently as they don't seem to be working so well. The active ingredients to look for on the side of bottles are benzoyl peroxide and salacylic acid which have been shown in trials to be of benefit to those with acne.


By the way I am a doctor - you may or not want to believe that and I wouldn't take my word for it from some random person over the internet. I don't have all the answers and am definitely not in anyway an expert in dermatology. I am very frustrated by the cosmetic industry which twists its data and tries to offer things it may not be able to deliver or backed up by any real data. I don't want to unnecessarily medicalise your problem but I thought I'd just let you know of what medical treatments are available in case this was not an avenue you had considered.


I hope this helps some how. If not, be comforted that you are not alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment