Friday, November 20, 2009

Do you perceive your own ethnicity's skin color to be less color-ey than that of other ethnicities?

Motivation: I am interested in testing whether people tend to perceive their own skin color (or that with which they are most familiar) as fairly uncolor-ey (e.g., "white" people might describe their skin color as "peachey" if forced to give an answer, but generally find it hard to describe, and they would reject that it is in the least white), whereas people tend to perceive other skin tones as fairly color-ey (e.g., "white" people do tend to perceive the skin tones of other ethnicities as red, brown, blue or black, i.e., as color-ey). For example, I suspect that when dark-skinned people first encountered white people, they perceived their own skin as fairly uncolorey and found it hard to put a good color-name to, but they saw those light-skinned caucasions as very color-ey, namely white. Perhaps this may be why many languages use color words to refer to other ethnicities, but often not in describing their own.

Do you perceive your own ethnicity's skin color to be less color-ey than that of other ethnicities?
I think I would tend to agree with you. It is the same thing as an accent. I don't have an accent, everybody else does.
Reply:I, for one, an tired of checking the "White" box. If you are Hispanic you have a plethora of choices. I have encountered forms that give 4 options for Hispanic and 4 for Asian/pacific islanders, and nothing-nothing for the speckled.





I want my own box... I want a box (and all the minority perks that seemly come with it) for....Speckled!





That's right I said it....SPECKLED.





Fully freckled people UNITE -- after all we were born melanin challenged. We did not choose it. Have we suffered, are you kidding me? We look like heavily peppered hard boiled eggs on the beach and after, oh my after, well it's just painful. I haven't even started taking about the chances of skin cancer increasing exponentially.





I think a telethon is in order!

star of bethlehem

No comments:

Post a Comment